Sunday, November 23, 2008

My first "long" run!

So yesterday I ran almost 8 miles (7.8), which for right now I am categorizing as a long run. Although, in a few months, those 8 mile runs will seem like a gift after doing an 18 or 19 mile run. BUT...Let's focus on the present for now. The run went very well, considering I didn't cramp up or feel like I "hit the wall." Actually, I didn't even feel like I ran that far. I do have to give some credit to my teammate Deb who rallied to run with me. We met at the gym, bundled as many layers as we could fit on our bodies, and ran out the door, literally. We were greeted by gusts of icy wind and bitter cold...not really what I would call good running weather. But we have a schedule to follow, and it says 6-8 miles. I know you are probably thinking, wait, but you met at the gym...aren't there treadmills in there?! Isn't it a heated gym?! And you would be correct. I can't exactly justify the minds of runners nor can I explain why I chose to layer a short sleeve shirt, a long sleeve shirt, another long sleeve, a fleece, and a windbreaker on my top and two pairs of pants on my legs, gloves, an ear band, and thermal running socks, when I could have put on a t-shirt and shorts to run at the gym. It just happened...

So we left the gym and warmth behind, ran up Washington Street to Comm Ave to get a taste of the infamous Heartbreak Hills, and then turned onto Chestnut Street. So far, the wind was mainly at our backs and we just chatted through our first three miles or so. Another hill greeted us as we turned onto Beacon Street, but we pushed up it. I didn't actually feel cold by this time; I even had to periodically take my gloves off to cool off my hands. Apparently I dressed right for the occasion! We kept up our pace through the stretch of Beacon and hit another gradual hill that led us to Center Street. From Center we turned left on Comm Ave and ran down Heartbreak which would have been great if it wasn't for the strong headwind. Turned right on Walnut through another wind tunnel and back onto Washington for the finish.

Our time was 1:08, which turns out to be 8:50 per mile pace...which neither of us believe because we felt so good. But that's what mapmyrun.com says.

Overall, I'm happy to have the first long run down, but it doesn't give me solace to know I have 20 more long runs to go and none of them are as short as 8 miles...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good work, next time make David run with you. He loves the cold.

Unknown said...

Way to go Meg! I have to say that I don't miss running in the Boston cold....but your talk of Heartbreak Hill did make me a little sentimental. Not sentimental enough to run the marathon again....but sentimental nonetheless. I'll leave the running up to you!!! Seriously though, I love reading your blog....you are inspiring! Keep the updates coming and good luck with the training. You can do it!!!